Hello everyone, on 13 December around 9:00 pm Indian time I ran into a newly emerging problem that most of the people are facing these days. I was testing my Facebook app, everything was working perfectly. I went for dinner and came back. Tested the app again and pufff… nothing seems to work. On Facebook.init I was getting null for both result and fail. I didn’t make any changes while I was gone, well nobody touched to code or the deployed swf. I struggled till 2:00 am and after that I went to sleep. Two days I have been busy with other things so I didn’t get to look into the issue.
Yesterday I sat again and bashed my head on the monitor for hours, but no results. I looked on internet if others are also facing the same issue I ran into… and I saw posts pouring down the forums. Apparently the API has been updated and facebook is strictly following OAuth 2.0 that is not supported in older version of facebook API.
The solution is pretty simple for this problem. Just follow these steps and you are good to go.
- Update your API: Download the latest facebook api. This link will take you to the web API, if you have desktop or mobile app you would find their download links here.
- Make sure your app.fla is not pointing to multiple APIs (old and new version both), just use the new version GraphAPI_Web_1_8_1 and you should not run into any problems.
- Download the Examples provided by facebook. download link.
- One thing I have noticed in Facebook.login, in the options object if you are still passing perms change it to scope.
- Check out the Examples, follow the syntax and variable names strictly and you are good to go.
If there is any specific issue, drop a line I would be happy to help if I could.